Category Archives: Food for Thought
There’s nothing like starting anew and making New Year’s resolutions but by the time New Year’s rolls around, we never feel mentally prepared to make those resolutions on the spot. Okay, so maybe we’re just the world’s biggest procrastinators, but we feel it’s never too late to make changes in your life and set goals for yourself to achieve. Plus the gym is always just way too crowded in January and we figure by February the weaklings will have already given up. So here’s just a little taste of the resolutions we’re making for the New Year… a month late.
- Expand our musical horizons even more with the help of this free app, Band of the Day.
- Wake up earlier. There’s something so tranquil about having a long and relaxed morning routine, and it’s also so necessary to center yourself and start your day off on the right foot. Plus that way we actually get to drink our morning coffee out of a ceramic mug on the couch rather than from a to-go cup, running on our way late to class.
- Train for a half-marathon and eventually a marathon. Baby steps friends.
- Write more letters. Whether we send a beautiful handwritten note in the mail or simply leave a post-it note on our roommate’s desk with a sweet message, we’re all about communicating on paper with the people that mean most to us.
- Never pass up on opportunity to grab coffee or lunch with someone new. You never know what beautiful friendships might begin over a crème brulee latte.
- Wear more lipstick. Just cause.
- Get involved with a new organization on campus we never have before. We’re ready to expand our horizons and step outside of our comfort zone this semester.
- Go after something. We’re not quite sure what that something may be right now but we’ve decided it’s time we take matters in to our own hands when it comes to the things we’re passionate about.
As you can see, it’s not too late to make your resolutions. Whatever may be on your list, we challenge you to make this your best year yet. Cheers to 2012.
As with the closing of any chapter in life, it’s only human nature to look back, reflect, and remember all the crazy, incredible, pivotal, and hilarious times. You may remember our post, 25 Things that reminisced on all the “life lessons” we learned after our sophomore year, and well because we love making lists so much we thought, why not make it a PurdueLaLa tradition?!
Now we realize that it’s not quite the end of the school year, but this semester was more influential than any other in our college careers and next semester is the beginning of a crazy adventure for one of us (Katherine will be living in Brussels, Belgium for all of second semester!). So we thought it appropriate to make a list, in true LaLa fashion, with all the incredible discoveries we made, funny times we had, and more truths we’ve come to know. Here we go….
1) Fuzzy’s Taco Shop… need we say more?
2) Climbing up a fire escape at 3 am on a balmy August night will start your year off the right way, and change everything you’ve ever known in a crazy “Freaky Friday” kind of way. (Disclaimer: PurdueLaLa does not encourage climbing up a fire escape and cannot be held responsible for any injuries incurred from doing the formerly stated action).
3) Some of the best shopping can be done in your Mother’s or even Grandmother’s closets (see here).
4) Elf Yourself never, EVER, gets old. It always is and always will be hilarious. Merry Christmas and have at it friends (here).
5) When you’re convinced you might be the most unlucky person in the world and have had the worst day (you have pneumonia, you’re three weeks behind on your final art project, you dented someone’s car parallel parking, you completely and utterly wiped out when running inside a building on campus, you’re pretty sure you bruised your hip bone because of that, and you have a formal interview in a half hour…. and yes this all really did happen) the best friends will always show up at your backdoor with an Oreo Blizzard and help you put your life into perspective. It’s really not that bad.
6) The nachos at Fuzzy’s. The perfect combination of three cheeses, pico de gallo, and their famous garlic sauce. We recommend forgoing meat on them as it tends to weigh down the chips.
7) If you become easily distracted while studying, the Hans Zimmer Pandora station might be the answer to all your attention deficit problems. Just try and not vigorously flip those textbook pages while the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack hums in your ears.
8 ) John Davey, an incredibly talented musician from West Lafayette. You must listen (here).
9) Never EVER drink the Green Dragon from Harry’s… even if a kind Nigerian man dressed as Big Papi for Breakfast Club buys it for you.
10) The best way to find out if someone really does have a good sense of humor is to show them this Kenny G music video and watch their reaction. If they don’t think that the sight of Kenny G chopping wood in the Sierra Nevada with his shirt all the way unbuttoned to be the perfect combination of ridiculous, disturbing, and down right genius, time to reevaluate your choice of friends.
11) Finally letting go of whatever is keeping you from living fully in the present may be the best feeling in the world.
12) A great way to make your best friend cry is to make them their very own power hour on their 21st birthday, complete with messages from friends at home. Happy 21st Katherine… feel free to celebrate along with us.
13) Listening to “Eye of the Tiger” before a major exam will get you in the right mindset to ace it. Drinking raw eggs before is optional.
14) No matter how much we are embarrassed to admit it, Rihanna can do no wrong. “We Found Love” is our jam!
15) The Boilerita at Fuzzy’s… a Corona upside down in a Margarita… need we say more? Side note: if we don’t get customers of the year at Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, something is not right in the world.
16) Fate has a funny yet incredible way of working. People will come in to your life when you least expect it but when you really need it the most. People you never knew existed until that funny moment when you meet them. So don’t question fate. Let it work and let it be.
17) Money is best spent on plane tickets. Clothes go out of style, shoes wear down, and all material things eventually break or become obsolete, but the memories you make on adventures with the people you care about most… those never die.
18) If you haven’t done a backbend in years, don’t attempt to do one in order to impress your friends. The results are never pleasant.
19) There is still so much pleasure in hacking into your friends’ Facebooks and posting Nickleback lyrics as their statuses. Just be prepared for the repercussions… like this one, “night in with the girls watching “Beauty Shop” cause sometimes you just gotta ‘wine’ a little.”
20) Saying goodbye never gets easier. Especially when “Closing Time” by Semisonic is playing in the background.
21) No matter how much you want to resist it, and try your hardest to avoid it, you sometimes just have to go see the newest “Twilight” movie simply to see what all the hype is about. But don’t worry… we’re not picking any teams. Or at least not sharing which one we’re on.
22) Although we’re embarrassed to say we discovered M83’s new album from a Victoria’s Secret commercial, “Midnight City” has become our anthem. Take a listen (here).
23) “Just one drink at Harry’s” is never just one drink at Harry’s. But it does make for some good stories later. If you’ve ever carried your laptop around the bars for a significant amount of time, we can now say we truly feel your pain.
24) If you dress up like Moms once for Halloween, people think it’s hilarious. A second time for a costume party, people think it’s still pretty funny. A third time for a formal sorority dance, people start to worry.
25) Grades are important and getting a job is every college student’s ultimate goal but don’t let the stress of it all get in the way of living your life. College is also about the lifelong friends you make who will always be there no matter what state, country, or continent you might be in. We only have four years at this place (or five for those fans of the victory lap) and they go by quickly. Cherish every second of it, do things on a whim, don’t think too much, see where life takes you, because some of the best things in life come as a surprise and happen only when you’re not looking.
So here’s to an incredible semester and many more adventures to come.
Lots of LaLa love,
Katherine & Molly